This week I wonder how Paramecium seems to move and spike randomly in a homogeneous environment while the electrophysiology seems deterministic (last 3 papers).
- Bezanilla and Armstrong (1977) - Inactivation of the Sodium Channel. I – Sodium current experiments. Experiments and model on the dependence of inactivation on activation.
- Connolly and Kerkut (1983) - Ion regulation and membrane potential in tetrahymena and paramecium. A review on ionic fluxes in Paramecium.
- Moolenaar et al (1976) - Membrane noise in Paramecium. 1/f noise due to leak channels.
- Majima (1980) - Membrane potential fluctuation in paramecium. Hints of channel cooperativity.
- Nakaoka et al (2009) - Spontaneous fluctuation of the resting membrane potential in Paramecium - amplification caused by intracellular Ca2+.